"Bring Zenas the Lawyer..."
- Titus 3:13

The Apostle Paul needed a lawyer. If you need a lawyer, contact us today.

  • Wrongful foreclosure?
  • Intellectual property question?
  • Need help filing a patent?
  • Trademark or copyright protection?

Learn more about what we do.

3 Kinds of Patents

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) grants patents that give the owner a full monopoly on the use and development of intellectual property for a set period of time. When the owner is granted a patent, anyone who makes, uses, or sells the protected property without permission will be subject to patent infringement. Under current U.S. law, a patent lasts 20 years from the original filing date. However, patents may be extended via patent term adjustments and patent term extensions.

3 Types

There are three types of patents the government can issue to an inventor. These include:

  • Utility patents: Issued for a new and useful process, machine, articles of manufacture, composition of matter, or improvements to any of those listed.
  • Design patents: Issued for a new, original, and ornamental design applied to an article of manufacture.
  • Plant patents: Issued for new and distinct or discovered asexually reproduced plant including cultivated sports, mutants, hybrids, and seedlings.

Regardless of what kind of patent you are seeking, it is an extensive process that has many requirements. It is also important to note that there are things that cannot be patented, including laws of nature, physical phenomena, abstract ideas, musical and artistic work, or non-useful inventions.

Contact a Dallas Intellectual Property Attorney for Help

Filing a U.S. patent application can be extremely complicated, and the use of an experienced attorney in the filing process can reduce any mistakes or other possible reasons for rejection. If you or someone you know is in the process of filing a patent or searching for more answers in the Dallas Fort Worth area, contact an intellectual property lawyer from Gagnon, Peacock & Vereeke, P.C., by calling (214) 824-1414 today.