"Bring Zenas the Lawyer..."
- Titus 3:13

The Apostle Paul needed a lawyer. If you need a lawyer, contact us today.

  • Wrongful foreclosure?
  • Real estate issue?
  • Royalty dispute?

Learn more about what we do.

Dealing with Property Encroachment

As property owners, we become very protective of our homes and land. When you take a certain amount of pride in your property, it can be particularly frustrating to find out that someone else has intruded on your property without permission. If you have a neighbor who has built a structure which breaches your property line, you may be dealing with encroachment. Encroaching structures can affect the value of your property and should be addressed.

How to Solve Encroachment

If you decide to pursue encroachment claims against your neighbor, it is important to be certain where the boundaries of your property lie. Once you are sure your neighbor’s structure lands on or extends over your boundary, you can pursue further action. When attempting to remedy the situation, you may consider any of the following actions:

  • Speak with your neighbor to see if you can come to some kind of agreement or solution together. If he is willing and able to move the structure back to his side of the boundary, the issue may be resolved right away without legal action.
  • Sell the encroached upon property to your neighbor. If he is unable or unwilling to move the structure, this may be an option to preserve peace between your houses.
  • If your neighbor is unwilling to move the structure or pay for the property, you may have to pursue legal action.

If you are considering any of the above options, it is in your best interest to speak with an attorney first, who can offer you critical legal advice about the next steps to take.

Contact a Plano Real Estate Attorney Today

If you are facing boundary and encroachment issues at your home in Plano, the attorneys at Gagnon, Peacock & Vereeke, P.C., may represent your interests throughout any legal dispute. For more information on how to protect your home in Plano, speak to a real estate attorney by calling (214) 824-1414 today.